If I lose my CT status, what do I need to do to qualify again?
If your certification has lapsed within three months, you just need to enter your CPD hours for the previous year. If it has been longer, contact member services for instructions about reinstating.
How are CPD hours awarded for ACS events?
CPD hours for ACS events are usually automatically recorded within one week of the event. Information on what hours you can claim can be found on the ACS Events Calendar.
How are CPD hours awarded for non ACS events or training?
You can claim CPD hours for any non ACS event that you attend. To calculate the hours, you just need to work out how much time was spent in the sessions, excluding meal breaks. You can enter these hours via the online CPD Log.
How do I obtain MACS status?
You will be awarded MACS status once you are certified.
If I accumulate 20 CPD hours in a year, do I automatically get CT status?
No. If you are an Associate member, you must first apply for certification. However, if you are already a CT and record the correct hours in each certification year, your certification will be extended by 12 months.
Over what period of time are CPD hours calculated?
Your CPD hours are calculated 12 months from the date you are certified. The expiry date will be the last day of the month. This applies to both CT and CP status.
Why should I apply for ACS certification?
ACS is the Professional Association and peak body representing Australia's ICT sector. ACS certification demonstrates competence and commitment to superior service and excellence in ICT. Certification provides official recognition of your competencies to potential employers and customers.
How do ACS certifications differ from vendor certifications, university and VET qualifications?
Vendor certifications and ICT qualifications are usually based on time-bound examinations or a test of specific knowledge areas. These are valuable to the formation of an ICT professional, however, the ACS offers professional certification to demonstrate currency in ICT. ACS certification encompasses the knowledge, skills and attributes of an individual, assessing qualifications alongside work experience and communications skills. This recognises you as an ICT professional.
What are the benefits of becoming a Certified Professional (CP)?
The major benefit is recognition:
- By employers – ACS membership and certification is widely recognised by the ICT industry and government. ACS certified members are actively promoted to employers as being a cut above the rest.
- By customers – ACS certified members are actively promoted to the private sector, Australian Government and the wider community.
- As a true professional – ACS Certified Professionals (CP) are now recognised by the Professional Standards Act that offers CPs Limited Liability. This places ACS Certified Professionals on the same level as other established professions such as engineering, law and accounting.
- Internationally – ACS certifications were developed in alignment with and are recognised by overseas ICT professional associations.
- Legally in Australia – ACS certifications are recognised by the Treasury Legislation Amendment (Professional Standards) Act 2004.
What is required for an individual to attain Certified Professional (CP) designation?
A Certified Professional:
• Operates at level 5 of the SFIA Framework
• Ensures, advises and demonstrates in-depth professional competency in a SFIA skill at level 5
• Demonstrates a breadth of ICT knowledge
• Has an understanding of and commitment to the ACS Code of Professional Conduct.
What is required for an individual to attain Certified Technologist (CT) designation?
A Certified Technologist:
• Operates effectively at SFIA level 3 generic capability
• Demonstrates in-depth competence in at least one specialisation at SFIA level 3
• Demonstrates a breadth of ICT knowledge
• Understands and is committed to the ACS Code of Professional Conduct
Who can apply for certification?
All members of the ACS are eligible to apply for certification. Members are assessed based on experience and education.
How will the ACS certification credentials help me advance in my career?
ACS certification provides recognition of high professional competence, together with quality, depth and breadth of ICT knowledge.
As the ACS promotes the value of certification, we anticipate that more employers and prospective clients will give preference to ICT professionals who can demonstrate these credentials. This will lead to increased business opportunities and better employment prospects.
For information about ACS brand use, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org