Digital Accessibility – Theory and Practice
5-week course, Feb 22nd-Mar 22nd 2017
Wednesdays 9-5 followed by workplace activities with online support over the intervening week.
During the course, participants will prepare a Digital Accessibility Action Plan for their organisation and conduct an initial high level review of the organisation’s digital resources (web & documents) under the guidance and support of WebKeyIT’s accessibility experts.
ACS Members: This course qualifies for 12 professional development hours towards the Australian Computer Society’s Certified Technologist and Certified Professional certifications.
This course will equip your participants to take on a leading role in Digital Accessibility within your organisation.
They will be able to:
- and demonstrate the importance of accessibility to other team members
- a range of tools to test accessibility including the NVDA screen reader
- preliminary assessment of digital resources for conformance to the WCAG 2.0 (ISO 40500:2012) standard as required by Australian law;
- advice in preparation for a formal external audit;
- advice on the development or upgrading of digital resources;
- the procurement of new digital products in line with Australian Standards and
- priorities for remediating digital documents and the development of a corporate style guide that addresses accessibility.
Who should attend
The three main areas or business units that would benefit from the course are content, technical and management. Organisations are encouraged to send two or more people from across these areas. The attendees would collaborate on the development of the Digital Accessibility Action Plan for the organisation.
Attendees could be:
- Content: web page authors, reviewers, document writers, area managers
- Technical: web developers, IT personnel, Help Desk, document creators, graphic designers
- Business management: decision makers, policy makers, financial planners, risk assessment, marketing, public relations, communications, Occupational Health and Safety, Disability Access and Inclusion Officer
- WCAG 2.0 Level A and AA covered in detail, AAA discussed
- Practical exercises in the use of testing tools and methods
- Discussion of business aspects including: law, risk, action planning and staff training.
- Accessibility on desktop systems. Course will use PC but Apple will be discussed.
- Accessibility on mobile devices e.g. iPad, tablets, phone
Day 1: February 22
Awareness. Website Accessibility for Content Editors and Developers
Day 2: March 01
No Mouse! Using and testing digital resources with keyboard or keyboard alternative access.
Day 3: March 08
Two Wise Monkeys. Using and testing digital resources for access by people with vision and/or hearing disabilities.
Day 4: March 15
Documents. Creating Accessible Interactive Documents
Day 5: March 22
Taking Care of Business. Creating Interactive forms. Business case aspects of accessibility.
- The course runs over a 5 week period with class attendance one full day a week (Wednesdays).
- Each class focuses on important aspects of digital accessibility and includes both theoretical topics and practical activities.
- Between classes, participants will work on activities which will become part of the final report and Digital Accessibility Action Plan for their organisation.
- The final hour of each session will be devoted to the report and action plan work under the supervision and support of WKIT experts who will comment and advise on each participant’s work.
- At the end of the course, WKIT experts will discuss the Action Plan in a one on one conference with each participant or workplace team.
- Class numbers capped at 12
- Full Price: $3250 per person
- 2nd person from the same organisation: $3000
- Early bird pricing for payments received by Jan 6th 2017:
- person: $3000, 2nd person $2700
- people from the same organisation: $2700 each
- All learning materials – handbooks and thumb drives with examples, manuals and handouts
- Lunch, morning and afternoon tea
- Disposable headphones for use with screen reader
Location and Date:
- Wednesdays 9 - 5: Feb 22, Mar 1, 8, 15 and 22, 2017, ATI Mirage Training Centre, Cloisters Level 1, 863 Hay Street, Perth WA
- Email email@example.com to register or to request further details
- Course outlines will be sent out upon request or registration
- Please note that the course will only run if there are sufficient participants
WebKey IT Director, Dr Vivienne Conway, is a member of the W3C WCAG working group.