The Australian Federal Police have executed search warrants on Labor Party offices in Melbourne as part of investigations into the leak of NBN documents.
News of the searches came to light about 7.30pm AEST on Thursday 19 May when Labor’s finance spokesman Tony Burke confirmed they were underway.
Though the AFP did not confirm the targets of the raids, they have been widely reported to be the offices of former Communications Minister Stephen Conroy and the home of two Labor staffers. The search of the home continued throughout the night.
AFP Commissioner Andrew Colvin said that documents seized in the searches had been sealed to await a determination over whether they are subject to parliamentary privilege.
AFP Comm: Parlt privilege has now been claimed on the documents seized overnight. The documents now sealed. (@lyndalcurtis)— Sky News Australia (@SkyNewsAust) May 19, 2016
Tony Burke said the documents allegedly related to leaks concerning the NBN.
“There's no doubt the leaks that came from the NBN caused immense damage, immense damage to Malcolm Turnbull when they showed that the cost blowout of the NBN, the fact that it was slower, the fact that it was going to be delayed," Burke told the ABC’s 7.30 program.
The AFP said it had been referred allegations of “unauthorised disclosure of Commonwealth information” from NBN Co on December 9 last year.
To read the full article, click here.