Skip to main content

Victoria pulls off SydStart heist

Thursday, 05 Nov 2015

This article first appeared in The Australian online on Friday October 30, 2015 by David Swan. You can view the full article by clicking here.

The Victorian government has pulled off arguably its biggest case of event theft since the Grand Prix, announcing that it will be home to Australia’s biggest start-up conference, SydStart, from 2016.

Victorian minister for small business, innovation and trade Philip Dalidakis told The Australian that the event, now to be called Startcon, was another example of Victoria having the “best of everything.”

He said the coup was set in place only earlier this week, when he was alerted to the opportunity to speak with Matt Barrie and the Freelancer team who run the start-up conference. He then “went hard” to bring it to Victoria.

The Victorian government was successful and the event, which this year hosted the likes of Kim Dotcom and 9Gag founder Ray Chan will be held in Melbourne next year and in future years... Read more.